The first version of Memtest86+ was released on early 2004, based on memtest86 v3.0 that was not updated since mid-2002. Our main challenge was to provide an up-to-date version of this useful tool, as reliable than the original. Our work started when we got the first AMD64 system. Unfortunatly, the original memtest v3.0 didn't run at all. After looking at the source code, we fixed the bug.
After some days, I saw lot of other things like chipsets or CPU that were not correctly detected or not detected at all. I have access to lot of recent hardware and I can test and debug on quite all available motherboards on the market. After adding detection for all current CPUs, I've added detection for all current chipsets (SiS, VIA, nVidia, Intel) and ECC Polling for AMD64, i875P and E7205. Then, I decided to display some useful settings for the most popular chipsets. For exemple, on i865PE/i875P series, memtest86+ will now display FSB & Memory frequency, PAT status, memory timings, ECC status and the number of memory channels. Next version will perhaps contain several enhancements and bug-fixes.
Enhancements in v3.5
- Limited support for execution with multiple CPUs. CPUs are selected
round-robin or sequential for each test.
- Support for detection of additional chipsets. (from Memtest86+ v2.11).
- Additions and corrections for CPU detection including reporting of L3
- Reworked information display for better readability and new information.
- Abbreviated iterations for first pass.
- Enhancements to memory sizing.
- Misc bug fixes.